Saturday, 24 January 2015

It's Not The End

Earlier this month, a schoolmate of mine from my secondary school decided to end her life. The reasons or series of events leading to it are unknown to me apart from the fact that she left some emails to her loved ones, an 'im dead' tumblr post and jumped off the nineteenth floor.

It had been almost a year since I last saw her and the fact that probably all of us did not know there was anything worrying going on with her made it a shock for each and every one of us who got the news. That very week, people from her class and the rest of our school tried to turn up for her wake and burial but the shock of her departure had left everyone stunned.

This being the first time I experienced the death of someone I have personally known and loved, I now have to somehow face the fact that I'll no longer be able to see her smiling little face or hear her calling me 'Aunty Ashmika' every time we meet despite us only being a year apart in age.

While I still can't get myself to come in terms of this incident, questions of numerous kinds began to reappear with greater force. Is wasn't like I've never considered thoughts of death, loss and separation before but the suddenness and unbelievability of the incident left me lost for words or any form of response.

Time might ebb the pain her family and friends are experiencing at her departing and we will be forced to continue our lives knowing that she isn't around us anymore but the memories we shared and the love we had for her will never be forgotten. We may have no right to judge her or condemn her for what she did but maybe her decisions and it's direct implications to those all around her serve as a timely reminder of how precious life is and how much every individual is worth beyond measure even if they themselves believe otherwise. Death may be the final destination but perhaps it's not the end.

No comments:

Post a Comment